Two views from the South East. Lancing College in the
The red tiled buildings at the far end of the bridge are the
offices of Ricardo Consulting Engineers.
The high security compound is home to the world leading engine research company.
Looking West, the former railway level crossing in foreground,
the rails remaining embedded in the roadway,
this is where the toll collectors stood. There are unconfirmed stories told of
how they 'supplemented' their BR pay.
Long lines of traffic would build up at any busy period.
The railway remained open for goods traffic to the Cement Works.
When the track was lifted after final closure, it 'disappeared' one night.
The metal fencing was installed to discourage use, by the WSCC
after years of neglect of the structure.
In the 1940's in freak weather a Southdown Bus was blown off the bridge
onto the mud, landing on it's side,
the tide was out and no-one was seriously hurt
Looking East across the bridge, it is difficult to imagine
that this flimsy structure once carried the A27 Road.
Double Decker Buses were exempt from the weight
restrictions which were applied in later years of its active life.
HGVs were diverted through Upper Beeding, Bramber and Steyning, there was no
bypass for these villages then.
The Bridge from the North West
The 'elegant'? modern concrete flyover, opened in 1970, it now
carries the busy A27.
It seems as if it has been closed or had traffic restriction for more
time than it has not.
It was severely restricted for several years after opening, after a similar type
of structure collapsed while being built.
Recently (2001) it has been restricted over a long period to be 'strengthened'
to provide for ridiculously heavy HGV limits imposed by the regime in Brussels.